BLACK DECKER CM1110 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
WELCOME!Congratulations on your purchase of the Black+Decker™ 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker. We have developed this guide to ensure optimal product performance and your complete satisfaction. Save this use and care manual and be sure to register your appliance online at www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker.
RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK. DO NOT OPEN.
The lightning symbol refers to “dangerous voltage”; the exclamation symbol refers to maintenance instructions. See below.Warning: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not remove the cover of the coffeemaker. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Repair should be done by authorized service personnel only.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and/or injury, including the following:
- Read all instructions.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against fire, electric shock and injury to persons do not immerse cord, plugs or appliance in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from outlet when either the appliance or display clock is not in use, and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner. Contact Consumer Support at the number listed in this manual.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may result in fire, electric shock or injury to persons.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- To disconnect, turn the unit off by pressing the ON/OFF () button, making sure the ON/OFF () light goes out, then remove plug from wall outlet.
- Do not use this appliance for other than intended use.
- Keep lid on the carafe when in use.
- Scalding may occur if the lid is removed during the brewing cycles.
- The carafe is designed for use with this appliance. It must never be used on a range top.
- Do not set a hot carafe on a wet or cold surface.
- Do not use a cracked carafe or a carafe having a loose or weakened handle.
- Do not clean carafe with cleansers, steel wool pads or other abrasive material.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
POLARIZED PLUG (120V models only)This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
TAMPER-RESISTANT SCREWWarning: This appliance is equipped with a tamper-resistant screw to prevent removal of the outer cover. To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not attempt to remove the outer cover. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Repair should be done only by authorized service personnel.
- A short power-supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
- Extension cords may be used if care is exercised in their use.
- If an extension cord is used:a) The marked electrical rating of the extension cord should be at least as great as the electrical rating of the appliance.b) If the appliance is of the grounded type, the extension cord should be a grounding-type 3-wire cord.c) The cord should be arranged so that it will not drape over the countertop or tabletop where it can be pulled on by children or tripped over.
Note: If the power cord is damaged, please contact the warranty department listed in these instructions.
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR COFFEEMAKER
- Vortex™ showerhead
- Brew basket (Part # CM1110-01)
- Sneak-A-Cup™ auto pause feature
- Carafe with lid (Part # CM1110-02)
- Control panel
- Water reservoir
- Water level markings
- Nonstick “keep hot” carafe plate
Product may vary slightly from what is illustrated.
- Remove all packing material, any stickers, and the plastic band around the power plug.
- Go to www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker to register your product.
- Wash removable parts as instructed in CARE AND CLEANING.
- Clean the inside of your coffeemaker by running two full brewing cycles with water only, no coffee.a. Pour fresh, cold water into the water reservoir up to the 12-cup MAX mark, then place carafe onto the carafe plate.b. Plug cord into standard electrical outlet.c. Push the ON/OFF () button to immediately brew water through the coffeemaker without adding coffee.d. Once the cycle is finished, discard water.e. Turn off appliance, unplug and allow to cool down for 15 minutes before repeating.
PROGRAMMING YOUR COFFEE MAKER
Setting the Digital Clock
- Plug the coffeemaker into a standard electrical outlet.
- The numbers and colon “:” on the digital clock display flashes “12:00”.
- Press HOUR and MIN buttons until the correct time appears on the display. The colon “:” will continue to flash even after the time is set. (A)
- When the time passes noon, the LED light in the display next to PM illuminates to let you know you are in PM time. If the PM light is not illuminated it is AM time.
- To change the time after it has been set, press either HOUR or MIN once to enter the time setting mode. Then follow the steps above.
Note: If the appliance is unplugged or power is interrupted even momentarily, the time may need to be reset.
- Open cover.
- Fill water reservoir with desired amount of water. The 12 line on the side of the reservoir represents a full carafe of coffee. Do not fill past this 12 Cup line.Note: Use spring water or filtered water. Distilled water lacks the mineralsnecessary to bind to elements of coffee.Note: Filtered water will limit impurities and excessive minerals that can detrimentally impact coffee flavor and machine performance.
- Insert a basket type paper filter into the brew basket.
- Add desired amount of ground coffee. Close lid, making sure it clicks.
- Make sure carafe lid is properly attached to the empty carafe. Close the carafe lid.Note: Coffee may overflow if carafe lid is not properly placed.
- Place empty carafe on the carafe plate.
- If not already plugged in, plug power cord into an outlet.
- If regular brew strength is desired, your coffeemaker is set to brew coffee.
- If strong coffee is desired, press the STRONG button once to select the strong brew. The LED light in the display next to STRONG will illuminate. To turn STRONG mode off press the STRONG button again and the LED light will turn off.Note: We recommend using the STRONG setting to ensure the best flavor whenever brewing 4 cups of coffee or less.
- Press ON/OFF () button and brewing begins. The () button illuminates while brewing.
- Once coffee grounds have cooled, carefully open cover and, discard used grounds. Close cover.
- The coffeemaker will keep brewed coffee hot for 2 hours and then automatically turn off.
To turn off the coffeemaker at any time press the ON/OFF button (). The ON/OFF () light goes off.
Remove the carafe and brewing is paused. The carafe must be placed back on the carafe plate in 30 seconds to prevent overflow. Brewing begins again.
KEEP WARM FUNCTION
The hot plate remains in “keep warm” mode for 2 hours (120 minutes) following the brew cycle.
- During this time the ON/OFF () button remains illuminated.
- After 2 hours have passed, the heater turns off and the ON/OFF () light turns off.
To turn off the coffeemaker at any time press the ON/OFF button ().
BREW LATER FUNCTION
If BREW LATER function has not been previously set:
- Press the BREW LATER button.
- The LED light in the display next to BREW LATER illuminates and flashes once per second.
- Clock shows last BREW LATER time programmed (if no time has been programmed, or unit has been unplugged, BREW LATER time defaults to 12:00 a.m.).
- Use HOUR and MIN buttons to set BREW LATER time (while BREW LATER in display is blinking).
- Press the BREW LATER button again to set the BREW LATER time. Or, the coffeemaker will automatically set itself after 4 seconds with no button pressed.
- The unit will begin brewing at the BREW LATER time.
If BREW LATER function is already set:
- Press BREW LATER button to check the BREW LATER time. The clock will flash once per second and display the BREW LATER time for 4 seconds. At this point, you may reset the BREW LATER setting if desired.
- To cancel the BREW LATER function; press and hold the “BREW LATER” button for 3 seconds.
- Four seconds after you stop pressing buttons, the clock reverts to current time.
Note: Even though BREW LATER is disabled, the BREW LATER time will still be stored unless unit is unplugged.
CARE AND CLEANING
This product contains no user serviceable parts. Refer service to qualified service personnel.
- Be sure the unit is unplugged and has cooled.
- Wash the removable parts in the top rack of the dishwasher or wash by hand in hot water with dish detergent.
- Wipe the appliance’s exterior surface, control panel and carafe plate with a soft damp cloth. Do not use abrasive cleansers or scouring pads. Never immerse the coffeemaker in water.
- To clean the inside of the cover, open the cover and leave in the open position. Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth.
AUTO CLEAN™ SYSTEM
De-scaling With Auto Clean™Over time, calcium deposits or “scale” may build up in your brewer. Scale is non-toxic but if left unattended will hinder brewer performance and cause premature failure. Regularly de-scaling your brewer helps to maintain quality coffee as well as the lifespan of the heating element, and other internal parts that come in contact with water throughout the brew process.To make the de-scaling process as effortless as possible, an Auto Clean™ system has been programmed into your coffeemaker.
When should I use the Auto Clean™ function?You should clean your coffeemaker after every 60 brews (approximately 2 months). After 60 brews, the clean warning will be activated, and display at the beginning of each brew cycle. “CLEAN” will scroll across the display three times to remind you to clean the coffeemaker.If you would like to clean your coffeemaker prior to 60 brew cycles because of hard water, you may do so.
How do I use the Auto Clean™ function?Follow the simple steps below. Your coffeemaker will take care of the rest.
- Combine 6 cups of white vinegar and 4 cups of cold water in carafe.
- Pour into water reservoir.
- Make sure the lid of the carafe is in place and place empty carafe on the carafe plate.
- Press and Hold the On/Off button for 4 seconds
- On/Off Button LED illuminates (no blinking)
- “CLEAN” scrolls through the display continuously and the Auto-Clean cycle begins.
During the Auto-Clean™ Cycle Function:
- Machine will brew approximately 5 cups of cleaning solution
- Part of the mixture will brew through. Remaining mixture will be held in coffeemaker for 30 minutes before completing its brew through.
- Machine will continue brewing remainder of cleaning solutionNote: The entire cleaning cycle will take 45–60 minutes to complete.
- When the coffeemaker completes the AUTO CLEAN cycle, it shuts off automatically.
- Brew fresh water through appliance following instructions given in GETTING STARTED before brewing coffee again.
|Coffeemaker does not turn on.||Coffeemaker is not plugged in.||Make sure appliance is plugged into a working outlet.|
|Coffeemaker is leaking.||Water reservoir may be overfilled.||Make sure water reservoir has not been filled beyond the 12-cup line.|
|Cover may not be correctly placed on carafe.||Make sure cover is correctly placed and tightened on carafe|
|Carafe may not be correctly placed on the carafe plate.||Make sure carafe is placed securely onto the carafe plate.|
|The filter basket overflows.||The carafe has been removed for longer than 30 seconds when using the Sneak-A- Cup™ feature.||Make sure to replace the carafe within 30 seconds during the brewing cycle.|
|Excessive amount of coffee is used.||Reduce the amount of coffee used.|
|Brewing with softened water.||Always brew with cold, filtered water.|
|Coffee sediment in brewed cup of coffee.||The filter and/or the brew basket are not properly placed.||Insert filter and basket properly.|
|Coffee grounds are small enough to pass through the permanent filter.||While it is normal to see some coffee sediment when using a permanent filter, a coarser grind can reduce the amount of sediment.|
|The coffeemaker brews slowly.||The coffeemaker needs cleaning.||Follow the instructions in the Auto Clean™ function section. More than one cleaning cycle may be required if the coffeemaker is heavily calcified.|
|The coffeemaker does not brew all water in the reservoir.||The coffeemaker needs cleaning.||Follow the instructions in the Auto Clean™ function section. More than one cleaning cycle is probably needed.|
If additional assistance is needed, please contact our consumer service team at 1-800-465-6070.
NEED HELP?For service, repair or any questions regarding your appliance, please call our Customer Service Line at 1-800-465-6070. Please DO NOT return the product to the place of purchase. Also, please DO NOT mail product back to manufacturer, nor bring it to a service center. You may also want to consult the website listed on the cover of this pamphlet.
(Applies only in the United States and Canada)
What does it cover?
- Any defect in material or workmanship provided; however, Spectrum Brands’ liability will not exceed the purchase price of product.
For how long?
- Two years from the date of original purchase with proof of such purchase.
What will we do to help you?
- Provide you with a reasonably similar replacement product that is either new or factory refurbished.
How do you get service?
- Save your receipt as proof of date of sale.
- Visit the online service website at www.prodprotect.com/blackanddecker, or call toll-free 1-800-465-6070, for general warranty service.
- If you need parts or accessories, please call 1-800-738-0245.
How does state law relate to this warranty?
- This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from state to state or province to province.
What does your warranty not cover?
- Damage from commercial use
- Damage from misuse, abuse or neglect
- Products that have been modified in any way
- Products used or serviced outside the country of purchase
- Glass parts and other accessory items that are packed with the unit
- Shipping and handling costs associated with the replacement of the unit
- Consequential or incidental damages (Please note, however, that some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, so this limitation may not apply to you.)
Are there additional warranty exclusions?
- This warranty shall not be valid where it is contrary to U.S. and other applicable laws, or where the warranty would be prohibited under any economic sanctions, export control laws, embargos, or other restrictive trade measures enforced by the United States or other applicable jurisdictions. This includes, without limitation, any warranty claims implicating parties from, or otherwise located in, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and the disputed Crimea region.
The CM1110B has a black & white display, while the CM1110 has a blue & white display.
Press and hold the “Hour” button until the correct hour appears. Then press and hold the “Minute” button until the correct minute appears. To set AM or PM, press and hold the “AM/PM” button until you see AM or PM appear.
The coffeemaker will automatically turn off after 2 hours of nonuse. If you wish to turn it off before that time, simply press any of its buttons (except for “Cancel”).
Unplug your coffeemaker from its electrical outlet before cleaning it. Use a soft cloth with warm water to clean any removable parts (the carafe, filter basket, etc.). Never use abrasive cleaners or scouring pads because they may damage your coffeemaker’s finish. Never immerse any part of your coffeemaker in water or other liquid. To clean inside of carafe, fill with water to flush out coffee residue then empty completely before next use. If your carafe needs more extensive cleaning, unplug your coffeemaker from its electrical outlet, then remove carafe from base unit by lifting straight up to remove from heating element (DO NOT PULL CARAFE BY POURING SPOUT). Wash in warm soapy water by hand or in top rack of dishwasher (do not use abrasive cleaners). Rinse thoroughly with fresh water after cleaning to remove soap residue before using again. Do not use any cleaner containing chlorine on any parts of your coffeemaker other than glass decanter (including plastic components). Do not use household cleaners containing lemon or lime extracts on plastic parts as they may cause discoloration and/or damage to plastic over time. Do not place cord under carpeting; keep it away from heat registers, stoves, radiators and other heat sources; do not place on unprotected surfaces; do not place in water or other liquid; do not handle with wet hands; do not pull cord around.
Yes – this model does shut off automatically – after about an hour.
We just use Safeway brand “Basket Style” coffee filters 8-12 cup disposable usually found in packages containing 200 filters. Hope this helps.
You do not have to set the timer, making this a totally manual off and on machine if that’s what you want.
It’s a VERY THIN sheet of metal, not sure if it’s chrome, seems more like tin, & it’s in place with small screws. There is plastic behind the thin layer.
Mine has a strong feature, and a 2-4 cup feature. I never use the 2-4 cup button. I always make 6 cups. The strong feature I use every morning. I push that first, than I push the on button.
it calls for 6 cups of vinegar and 4 cups of water, you put it in the back, press the auto-clean button and it does a good job.
never had that problem. However there is a mechanism that shuts off water flow thru the filter if the glass pot is not in place. My guess is this mechanism is falsely reporting the absence of the pot at some pint during the brew.
Yes it does, but my light on it has not worked ever since I purchased it. But I love the coffee pot overall!
Our 12-cup coffee makers will brew at the rate of approximately one cup per minute. If you need further assistance, I’d be happy to help! Please contact us at and reference the screen name used in your question so that we may better assist you.
This coffee maker will work with a basket-style (flat-bottom) 8-12 cup coffee filter. The filter can be either paper or a permanent mesh.
The plastic carafe cover is not removable for cleaning. However, it opens very wide and it is easy to clean the carafe by hand or brush. I use a brush.
We want you to have a 5-star experience!Should you have any questions or concerns about your new product, please call our Customer Service Line at 1-800-465-6070 (U.S. and Canada). Please do not return to the store.