HomeT9 SMART THERMOSTATRCHT9510WFW2019Installation GuideOnline GuidesResideo.com
Read before installing.
Included in your box:
Tools you will need:
You may need:
- REQUIRED: A C-Wire (common wire) is needed for 24 VAC power. If you do not have a C-Wire, a FREE C-Wire Adapter offer is included.This guide will help you determine if you have a C-Wire or will need to use a C-Wire Adapter (Step 10). The C-Wire is a wire that originates from your heating and cooling system and needs to be connected to the C terminal on your thermostat. There is no universal color used to designate this type of wire.
C-Wire Adapter(FREE C-Wire Adapter offer included)
- Compatible with most heating/cooling, and heat pump systems
- Does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V)
- Does not work with millivolt systems
- Does not support S terminals for indoor and outdoor sensors
- Android or iOS smartphone, tablet, or device
CAUTION: ELECTRICAL HAZARDCan cause electrical shock or equipment damage. Disconnect power before beginning installation.CAUTION: EQUIPMENT DAMAGE HAZARDCompressor protection is bypassed during testing. To prevent equipment damage, avoid cycling the compressor quickly.CAUTION: MERCURY NOTICEIf this product is replacing a control that contains mercury in a sealed tube, do not place the old control in the trash. Contact your local waste management authority for instructions regarding recycling and proper disposal.
For help, see:ONLINE GUIDES AND SUPPORT VIDEOS AT: Resideo.comSOCIAL Twitter:@HoneywellHome, Facebook: Honeywell HomeOr contact:PHONE 1-800-633-3991
Removing your old thermostat
You will need: Screwdriver, needle-nose pliers
- Turn off powerTo protect your equipment, turn off the power at the breaker box or switch that controls your heating and coolingequipment.Note: The thermostat off switch will not turn off the power to the equipment.
- Check that your system is offChange the temperature on your old thermostat so that your system starts heating or cooling. If you don’t hear or feel the system turn on within 5 minutes, the power is off.Note: If you have a digital thermostat that has a blank display, skip this step.
- Remove your existing thermostat from the wall plateOn most thermostats, you can take off the thermostat by grasping and gently pulling. Some thermostats may have screws, buttons, or clasps.Do not remove any wires from your thermostat at this time!Compatibility Check
- Do you have a line voltage system?Line voltage systems have thick black wires with wire nuts or are labeled high voltage (120V or higher).YESYour system is not compatible. Go to Resideo.com to find a pro installer in your area.NOContinue to the next step.
- Take a picture of your existing wall plate’s wiringIn order to capture all of the letters next to the terminals, be sure to take multiple pictures from different angles.You may need to reference this image later.
- Remove any jumpersA jumper is used to connect two terminals. It may look like a small staple or a colored wire.Do not discard. Keep jumpers with your old wall plate.
- Label the wiresUse the stickers provided with your new thermostat to label each wire on your existing wall plate.Do not label jumpers. Your new thermostat does not need jumpers.
- Write down the colors of the wiresCheck the boxes and write down the color of the wires connected to terminals that are coming from the wall. Check all that apply (not all will apply).
Wire Color Terminal
A or L/A
W2 or Aux
U (1 or 2)**
* A C-wire or C-Wire Power Adapter (see included free offer) is required.** The T9 Smart thermostat cannot control equipment wired to U1 or U2. If there are wires in terminals that are not listed, you will need additional wiring support. Visit Resideo.com to find out more.
- Disconnect the wires and remove the old wall plateYou may need a screwdriver to release wires from terminals.Tip: Wrap the wires around a pencil to prevent them from falling into the wall.Compatibility Check
- Do you have a C-Wire?Look at the thermostat wiring checklist from Step 8, or the photo you took. Is the C-Terminal checked?YESThis means you will not need to install a C-Wire Adapter. Skip to Installing Your New Thermostat (page 13).NOThis means you don’t have a C-wire connected to your thermostat. Continue to the next step.Only complete this section if you answer No to Step 10Connecting Your Unused C-WireYou will need a screwdriver, flashlight, wire strippersCompatibility Check
- Do you have a zoning panel?You have a zoning panel if you have multiple thermostats and one furnace or heating system.YESC-Wire Adapter installation is more complicated on zoned systems. Go to Resideo.com to find a pro installer in your area.NOProceed to the next step.
- Do you have an unused wire?Look at the bundle of wires coming from the wall.Note: You may have to pull the bundle of wires out from the wall to find the unused wire.YESContinue to Step 13.NOSee the C-Wire Power Adapter FREE OFFER included in the thermostat box. Follow the instructions that come with the C-Wire Power Adapter, and then return to page 13 of this guide to complete the installation.
- Label unused wireLabel your unused wire with the provided “C” sticker label. You may need to use a wire stripper to expose at least 1/4 inch of the wire.Note: If you have multiple unused wires, then label only one wire and make note of the color here:Go to your furnace or heating systemThis system is often located in your basement, attic, or garage. Bring a flashlight and screwdriver.
- Remove cover from furnace or heating systemOpen the heating and cooling system’s cover to find the control board. You should see the same terminal labels that are on your thermostat.Note: You may need to unscrew the cover. The control board may be at the top or bottom.
- Find the other end of the unused wireLocate the bundle of wires that are the same as the ones at your thermostat.The unused wire should be the same color as the one near your existing thermostat.See Step 13 for the color you wrote down.
- Connect the unused wire to the C-terminalNote: If there are existing wires in the C-terminal, make sure they are still connected to the C-terminal after connecting this wire.
- Close the cover to the furnace or heating systemBe sure the cover is completely closed. Some systems will not power up if the cover isn’t fully closed.You’ve connected the C-wire. You will NOT need to use a C-Wire Adapter.Go back to the wall where you are installing your thermostat and continue to “Installing Your New Thermostat” on the next page.Installing Your New ThermostatYou will need: Level, pencil, drill, and a drill bit
- Position wall platePull open the wall plate that was included with your new thermostat. Insert the bundle of wires through the back of the wall plate.Make sure at least 1/4-inch of each wire is exposed for easy insertion into the wire terminals.
- Insert recommended wall anchorsIt is recommended that you use the wall anchors included in the box to mount your thermostat.You can use the wall plate to mark where you want to place the wall anchors.a) Level the wall plateb) Mark the location of the wall anchors using a pencilc) Remove the wall plated) Drill anchor holes.If your box contains red anchors, drill 7/32″ holes.If your box contains yellow anchors, drill 3/16″ holes.e) Insert the wall anchorsf) Make sure the anchors are flush with the wallg) Reposition the wall plate on the wall
- Determine Correct R-Switch Position and Insert R-wire or wiresSet the R-switch up or down based on your wiring notes in Step 8. Insert wires into the inner holes of the terminals on the wall plate. The tabs will stay down once the wire is inserted.If you have 1 R-Wire (R, RC, RH):
1. Ensure the right R-switch is in the up position. 2. Insert your R-wire (R, Rh, or Rc) into R-terminal.
ORIf you have 2 R-Wires (R, RC, RH):
1. Set the right R-switch to the down position. 2. Insert your Rc wire into Rcterminal.3. Insert your R or Rh wire into R-terminal.
- Connect remaining wires from Step 8Push down on the tabs to put the wires into the inner holes of their corresponding terminals on the wall plate (one wire per terminal) until it is firmly in place.Gently tug on the wires to verify they are secure.Tip: If you need to release the wires again, push down the terminal tabs on the sides of the wall plate.This wiring is just an example, actual wiring may vary.
- Close the door and mount the wall plateMount the wall plate using the provided screws. Install all three screws for a secure fit on your wall.Tip: Prior to tightening the screws, use a level to ensure the wall plate is level.
- Attach your thermostatAlign the thermostat on the wall plate and firmly snap it into place.Go back to your circuit breaker box.
- Turn the power back onTurn on the switch that controls your heating and cooling system.Go back to your thermostat.
- Complete setup on the thermostatRemove the protective film and confirm that your thermostat reads “Welcome.”If you do not see this, visit Resideo.com or call 1-800-633-3991 for more help.
Getting the most from the T9 Smart Thermostat
Prioritize Rooms (Requires optional Wireless Room Sensor accessory)Prioritize a specific room or multiple rooms, or let comfort follow your move using built-in motion detection.Control on the GoAdjust your thermostat from anywhere using your tablet or smartphone.Save EnergyWith geofencing, you can save money on the most expensive part of your energy bill while you’re away.Simple InstallationThe thermostat automatically programs itself. Just answer a few simple questions and you’ll be up and running in no time.Whole-Home Range (Requires optional Wireless Room Sensor accessory)With up to a 200-foot* range, 20 sensors with temperature, humidity, and occupancy detection can connect to your thermostat from throughout your home.*Range can vary based on home construction, wireless interference, and other factors.Know Your Home Is SafeGet customizable alerts on your mobile device such as when the basement is so cold a pipe could burst, or if the baby’s room is getting too hot.
Using your thermostat
The screen will wake up by pressing the center area of the displayed temperature.
(Requires optional Wireless Room Sensor accessory)
Priority creates an average temperature in your home based on specific rooms. This allows you to prioritize comfort where you want it.From the Home screen, select MENU, then Priority.
If you have difficulty with your thermostat, please try the following suggestions. Most problems can be corrected quickly and easily.
Display is blank
The heating or cooling system does not respond
Temperature settings do not change
|This thermostat has adjustable minimum and maximum limit settings for heating and cooling. If these settings were not adjusted when setup was done, heat has a setting range of 40-90°F and cool has a range of 50-99°F.|
Aux heat runs in cooling
Cool runs with a call for heat
The product should not be disposed of with other household waste. Check for the nearest authorized collection centers or authorized recyclers. The correct disposal of end-of-life equipment will help prevent potential negative consequences for the environment and human health.
2-year limited warranty
Resideo warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship or materials, under normal use and service, for a period of two (2) years from the date of first purchase by the original purchaser. If at any time during the warranty period the product is determined to be defective due to workmanship or materials, Resideo shall repair or replace it (at Resideo’s option).If the product is defective,(i) return it, with a bill of sale or other dated proof of purchase, to the place from which you purchased it; or(ii) call Resideo Customer Care at 1-800-633-3991. Customer Care will make the determination whether the product should be returned to the following address: Resideo Return Goods, Dock 4 MN10-3860, 1885 Douglas Dr. N., Golden Valley, MN 55422, or whether a replacement product can be sent to you.This warranty does not cover removal or reinstallation costs. This warranty shall not apply if it is shown by Resideo that the defect was caused by damage that occurred while the product was in the possession of a consumer.Resideo’s sole responsibility shall be to repair or replace the product within the terms stated above. RESIDEO SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ANY BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OR ANY OTHER FAILURE OF THIS PRODUCT. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation may not apply to you.THIS WARRANTY IS THE ONLY EXPRESS WARRANTY RESIDE MAKES ON THIS PRODUCT. THE DURATION OF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, IS HEREBY LIMITED TO THE TWO-YEAR DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. If you have any questions concerning this warranty, please write Resideo Customer Care, 1985 Douglas Dr, Golden Valley, MN 55422 or call 1-800-633-3991.The operation of this equipment is subject to the following two conditions:(1) this equipment or device may not cause harmful interference, and(2) this equipment or device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation.Electrical RatingsINPUT: , 0.2A
|Terminal||Voltage (50/60Hz)||Running Current|
|W Heating||20-30 Vac||0.02-1.0 A|
|W2 (Aux) Heating||20-30 Vac||0.02-1.0 A|
|E Emergency Heat||20-30 Vac||0.02-0.5 A|
|Y Compressor Stage 1||20-30 Vac||0.02-1.0 A|
|Y2 Compressor Stage 2||20-30 Vac||0.02-1.0 A|
|G Fan||20-30 Vac||0.02-0.5 A|
|0/B Changeover||20-30 Vac||0.02-0.5 A|
|L/A Input||20-30 Vac||0.02-0.5 A|
NOTE: Not for use with 250, 500, or 750 MV systems.
Apple® HomeKit™ Setup CodeThe T9 Pro Smart supports Apple HomeKit. When prompted by the Honeywell Home app, scan the code on the back cover of the guide included with your T9 Smart thermostat.www.resideo.comResideo Technologies Inc.1985 Douglas Drive North, Golden Valley, MN 554221-800-633-399133-00525EF–01 M.S. Rev. 03-20Printed in the United States© 2020 Resideo Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.The Honeywell Home trademark is used under license from Honeywell International, Inc.This product is manufactured by Resideo Technologies, Inc. and its affiliates.