SURFboard® SB6183 DOCSIS® 3.0 Cable Modem
Quick Start Guide
In the Box
What You Should Know
The SB6183 Cable Modem provides high‑speed Internet access on your home network via a single Ethernet connection.
This quick start guide will help you install your SB6183 Cable Modem to get it up and running with your computer on your home network.
To customize your network configurations and other advanced cable modem settings, see the SB6183 User Guide for more information. It is available online at the ARRIS Support website:www.arrisi.com/consumer. FAQs and additional product documentation are also available.
IMPORTANT! During the installation or cable modem activation, you may need to contact your service provider for assistance. To save time, make sure you have the Model name (SB6183), HFC MAC ID, and Serial number (S/N) located either on the attached label on page 4 of this document or on the bottom of the device itself.
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT TO THE STORE for any reason, please call ARRIS Technical Support for assistance: 1-877-466-8646
Install Your Cable Modem
- Connect the coaxial cable to a cable wall outlet (if not connected) and the Cable connector on your SB6183. Hand‑tighten each connector.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on your computer and the Ethernet port on your SB6183.Connect the power cord to the Power port on your SB6183 and then plug it into an electrical wall outlet.This automatically powers ON your SB6183. Check the front panel LEDs. During the initial startup, the Power, Receive, Send, and Online LEDs on the SB6183 front panel will FLASH. Afterward, check that all four LEDs are lit SOLID green or blue.To configure your home network, please see the SB6183 User Guide for more information at www.arrisi.com/consumer.
Front Panel LEDs
During normal operation, the Power, Receive, Send, and Online LEDs on the SB6183 front panel should always be lit SOLID green or blue.
Note: During startup, all four LEDs will FLASH and then light up SOLID in sequence. If the Power LED does not light up SOLID or FLASH, check the power connection on your SB6183 before contacting ARRIS Technical Support. If any of the four LEDs do not light up SOLID green or blue, please call ARRIS Technical Support at 1-877-466-8646 for assistance.
Test Your Cable Modem Connection
- Power ON your computer and log in.Note: Your service provider may allow for automatic activation which will automatically launch a special website when you open a web browser.
- Contact your service provider to activate your SB6183 if automatic activation is not available.
- Open a web browser on your computers, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari.
- Type a valid URL (for example, www.arrisi.com) in the address bar and then click or press Enter. The website should open.• If the web page opens, your SB6183 was set up properly.• If the web page fails to open, first check each cable connection on your connected devices to ensure that they are securely connected. Then, retype the URL.If still unsuccessful, you may have to contact your current service provider to either set up your Internet service or activate your SB6183.
The modem label is located on the bottom of your SB6183 Cable Modem.
To receive high‑speed Internet service, your service provider may request the Media Access Control (MAC) address (see HFC MAC ID) and serial number (see S/N) located on the modem label.
© 2014 ARRIS Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.
ARRIS, SURFboard, and the ARRIS logo are all trademarks or registered trademarks of ARRIS Enterprises, Inc. Other trademarks and trade names may be used in this document to refer to either the entities claiming the marks and the names of their products. ARRIS disclaims proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used by ARRIS under License. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. No part of the contents of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.
SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem User Manual – SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem User Manual –