NORTHSTAR Trailer Kit User Manual
Instructions for Assembly, Testing, Operation, and Servicing
Trailer Kit: Outdoor agricultural product used to tow Item# 268170
WARNINGREAD and UNDERSTAND the Owner’s Manual completely before using this trailer kit.Assemble, test, and use only in accordance with the Owner’s Manual instructions.
EXERCISE CAUTION in vehicle handling when towing sprayer to avoid loss of control or rollover.
Improper use of the trailer kit could result in serious injury to the operator or nearby persons.
Any Questions, Comments, Problems, or Parts OrdersCall NorthStar Product Support 1-800-270-0810
Hazard Signal Word Definitions
Summary of Important Safety Information
WARNINGRead and understand this owner’s manual completely before using the trailer kit.Improper use of the trailer kit could result in serious injury for the operator or nearby persons
LISTED BELOW is a summary of safety information of particular importance. See individual sections of this owner’s manual for more details.
DURING ASSEMBLY ———————————
- EXERCISE CAUTION when installing heavy parts. Follow the steps listed in the assembly section of this manual to properly install the trailer kit.
- DO NOT MODIFY trailer kit design.
DURING OPERATION ——————————-
WARNINGSerious injury can occur if the vehicle to which the sprayer trailer is attached is driven in an unsafe manner.
WARNINGThe sprayer trailer is very heavy. It can cause serious injury if it rolls out of control or tips over.Follow the safety instructions below for safely moving the sprayer trailer.
- READ safety instructions in your vehicle manual with regard to towing heavy cargo loads.
- DO NOT ALLOW drivers younger than 16 to drive the vehicle with the sprayer attached.
- MAKE SURE the tires are fully inflated and in good repair before towing the sprayer trailer. When adding air to the tires, do not over-inflate – serious injury could occur if tire explodes.
- MAKE SURE SPRAYER IS SECURELY ATTACHED to vehicle.
- EXERCISE CAUTION in vehicle handling when towing filled sprayer to avoid loss of control or sprayer overturning.
- Keep speed to a minimum so you can maintain control. Reduce speed prior to turns.
- Allow for more distance to stop.
- Avoid any sudden steering maneuvers, starts, or stops that could create liquid sloshing in the sprayer and instability.
- SLOW DOWN and EXERCISE EXTRA CAUTION on sloped or uneven terrain. Pick the most level route possible across fields–drive up and down slopes when necessary, rather than across. Use a vehicle equipped with a roll over protection system (ROPS) if you will be working on non-level terrain.
- BE AWARE that visibility may be reduced when making turns or backing up.
- BE AWARE of the added length of the sprayer trailer.
- DO NOT RIDE or TRANSPORT cargo on the sprayer trailer.
- NEVER TOW this sprayer trailer while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, ormedication.
- NEVER TOW this sprayer trailer over 12 mph. Faster speeds may result in loss of control. Order optional Item# 268176 (high speed upgrade kit) if you want to tow at highway speeds.
- If towing on a public road, make sure to comply with all local, state, and federal towing requirements. It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to obtain licensing, trailer lights, safety chains or signage, as needed to comply. Order optional Item# 268176, which includes towing coupler, trailer lights and safety chains.
- TURN OFF both sprayer and vehicle and SET BRAKES before leaving unattended.——————- DURING STORAGE / TROUBLESHOOTING ——————
- READ and FOLLOW the safety rules for troubleshooting / servicing the sprayer trailer.
- If a part needs replacement, only use parts that meet the manufacturer’s specifications. Replacement parts that do not meet specifications may result in a safety hazard or poor operation of the trailer sprayer.
Call 1-800-270-0810 to order a new label. Part No. 779187
Towing HazardSerious injury or death can happen if towing safety rules are not followed.
- When tank is full, tongue weight is 400 lbs. Make sure vehicle and towing equipment are properly rated.
- When tank is empty, trailer is extremely light. Caution must be used when towing at higher speeds.
- NEVER tow sprayer with jack in down position.
- Chock sprayer wheels before unhooking from tow vehicle.
Closely inspect all contents in the shipping carton.
- If you have missing or damaged components: Contact NorthStar Product Support at 1-800-270-0810.
Unpacking the Manual Bag
The following items are found in the manual bag.
Step One: Attach the A-frame tow bar to frame.
IMPORTANT: It is recommended that at least two people perform this step.
- Raise the front of the sprayer frame until there is enough room for the A-frame tow bar tofit underneath. Place blocks under the frame to hold it up.
- Attach the A-frame tow bar to the frame using (6) 5/8 x 1-3/4” bolts, and (6) Class G 5/8”nuts. Tighten all bolts to 180 ft-lbs.
Step Two: Attach the jack to the A-frame tow bar.
- Attach the jack to the A-frame tow bar with (4) 3/8 x 1-1/4” bolts and (4) 3/8” nyloc nuts.
- Tighten the bolts to 37 ftlbs.
Step Three: Build the axle assembly.Attach the torsion axles to the axle gusset and axle supports using (12) 3/8 x 1-1/4” bolts and (12) 3/8” Class G nuts. Leave bolts loose until next step.
Step Four: Attach axle assembly to the frame.NOTE: For this step, the broadcast kit and taillight kit cannot be in place, if equipped.
- Place the jack’s wheel on a 2×8 or other suitable block to gain 1-1/2” of additional height.Completely extend the jack to raise the front of the sprayer frame.
- Roll the axle assembly into place under the sprayer frame. Note that torsion axles point to the rear of the sprayer frame.a. Slide the axle supports in or out to match the width of the sprayer frame. Tighten bolts from Step 3 to 37 ft-lbs.b. Attach the axle supports to the side of the sprayer frame using (4) 3/8 x 1” bolts and (4) 3/8” Class G nuts. Do not tighten completely.c. Use (4) 3/8 x 1” bolts, (4) 3/8” Class G nuts, (4) 5/8 x 1-1/2” bolts, (4) 5/8” flat washers, and (4) 5/8” Class G nuts to attach the axle assembly to the bottom of the sprayer frame. Tighten the 3/8” bolts to 37 ft-lbs and the 5/8” bolts to 180 ft-lbs.d. Tighten 3/8 x 1” bolts on the side of the sprayer frame to 37 ftlbs.
Step Five: Attach the wheels.NOTE: For this step, the engine must be free of oil and gas. The broadcast kit and taillight kit cannot be in place, if equipped.
IMPORTANT: At least two people should perform this step.
- Place a piece of cardboard on the ground behind the sprayer. The ground should be a hard, level surface. Lift the tongue of the sprayer until the unit is resting on end in a vertical position. It may be necessary to place a shim under the tubes so the sprayer stands in a vertical position.
- Install the wheels to the hubs with (10) lug nuts. Tighten to 102 ft-lbs.
- Lower the front of the trailer sprayer until the wheels and jack touch the ground.
- Hitch Pin: Allows the trailer unit to be hooked up to an agricultural style coupler.
- Jack: Supports the trailer when it is not in use. Eases moving and connecting the trailer to a tow vehicle.
- Tongue: The tongue connects the sprayer frame to the tow vehicle.
- Wheels: Thirteen-inch high speed wheel assemblies.
- Torsion Axles: Suspension reduces vibration and improves towing at high and low speeds.
Operation – Important Safety Information
Now that you have completed and tested your assembly, there is some important safety information you need to know with regard to vehicle handling with the sprayer attached.
WARNINGCarefully read and make sure you understand the following safety information before using the trailer kit.
- Trailer prep. ALWAYS inspect and prepare the trailer kit before use according to the directions provided in this manual.
- Operator age. You must be 16 years of age or older to operate this trailer kit.
- Mechanical parts. Check to be sure all nuts and bolts are tight to make sure the trailer kit is in safe working condition.
- Unattended. ALWAYS turn off vehicle and set brake or block wheels.
WARNINGThe trailer sprayer is very heavy. It can cause serious injury if it rolls out of control or tips over.Follow the safety instructions below for safely moving the trailer sprayer.
- Read vehicle instructions. Review safety instructions in your vehicle manual with regard to towing heavy cargo loads.
- Driver age. You must be 16 years of age or older to drive the vehicle with the trailer sprayer attached.
- Vehicle handling. Be aware that vehicle handling will be affected when driving with the filled sprayer.Exercise caution to avoid loss of control or sprayer overturning:o Keep speed to a minimum so you can maintain control at all times. Reduce speed prior to turns.o Allow for more distance to stop.o Avoid any sudden steering maneuvers, starts, or stops that could create liquid sloshing in the sprayer and instability.
- Rough or sloped terrain. Slow down and exercise extra caution on rough or sloped terrain in order to reduce risk of rollover. Pick the most level route possible when transporting across fields. Drive up and down slopes that cannot be avoided, rather than across. Use a vehicle equipped with a Roll Over Protection System (ROPS) if you will be operating on non-level terrain.
- Reduced visibility. Be aware that visibility may be reduced with trailer sprayer attached. Be extra cautious when backing up or turning.
- Ride / transport. Never ride or transport cargo on the trailer sprayer.
- Under the influence. Never transport or operate this trailer sprayer while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication
- Unattended. Before leaving the trailer sprayer unattended, turn off the vehicle and set vehicle brakes.
- Tires. Be sure tires are fully inflated and in good repair before towing the trailer sprayer. When adding air to tires, do not over-inflate — serious injury could occur if tire explodes.
- Replacement parts. If a part needs replacement, only use parts that meet the manufacturer’s specifications. Replacement parts that do not meet specifications may result in a safety hazard or poor operation of the trailer kit.
Operation – Using the Trailer Kit
Step One. Inspect/RepairIf the trailer has been used previously, it must be prepared BEFORE EACH SUBSEQUENT USE.
WARNINGRead instructions below carefully for inspecting and preparing the trailer kit.Damaged or missing components could result in injury to the operator, bystanders, or property damage.
Important safety rules:
Replacement parts. If a part needs replacement, only use parts that meet the manufacturer’sspecifications. Replacement parts that do not meet specifications may result in a safety hazard orpoor operation of the trailer kit.
Inspect and repair
Inspect and test the trailer kit thoroughlya. Check tires for proper pressure level.b. Check to be sure that all nuts and bolts are tight.
Step Two: Tow the trailer sprayer.
Specifications and Accessories
Trailer Kit Specifications
- Maximum Towing Speed…………… 12 MPH
- Tire Size…………………………….. ST175/80 D13
- Maximum Tire Pressure…………….. 50 PSI
- Overall Dimensions (boxed)…….….. 53” L x 45” W x 15” H
- Weight (shipping)…………………… 250 lbs.
Available AccessoriesHigh Speed Trailer Upgrade Kit…… Item #268176
The manufacturer reserves the right to make improvements in design and/or changes in specifications at any time without incurring any obligation to install them on units previously sold.
Exploded View – 268175 – Rev. M
Dear Valued Customer:The NorthStar Product you just purchased is built with the finest material and craftsmanship. Use this product properly and enjoy the benefits from its high performance. By purchasing a NorthStar product, you show a desire for quality and durability.
Like all mechanical equipment this unit requires a due amount of care. Treat this unit like the high-quality piece of machinery it is. Neglect and improper handling may impair its performance. Please thoroughly read the instructions and understand the operation before using your product.
Limited WarrantyNorthStar shall warranty any piece of equipment manufactured, or parts of equipment manufactured, to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase by user. This warranty applies to the original purchaser of the equipment and is nontransferable. Verification of purchase is the responsibility of the buyer. Parts will be replaced or repaired at no charge, except when the equipment has failed due to lack of proper maintenance. Any misuse, abuse, alteration or improper installation or operations will void warranty. Determining whether a part is to be replaced or repaired is the sole decision of NorthStar.
NOTE: Some services performed by parties other than NorthStar may void warranty.
This warranty covers parts only. It will not provide for replacement of complete products due to defective parts. Components not manufactured by NorthStar such as engines are guaranteed by their manufacturer and can be serviced at factory-authorized locations near you. Any costs incurred due to replacement or repair of items outside of a NorthStar approved facility is the responsibility of the buyer and not covered under warranty. NorthStar can supply you with the service center location in your area.
This warranty specifically excludes the following; failure of parts due to damage caused by accident, fire, flood, windstorm, acts of God, applications not approved by NorthStar in writing, corrosion caused by chemicals, use of replacement parts which do not conform to manufacturer’s specifications, and damage caused by vandalism. Additional exclusions: loss of running time, inconvenience, loss of income, or loss of use, including any implied warranty of merchantability of fitness for a specific use.
Warranty does not cover items subject to normal wear such as tires, receptacles or any part subject to direct physical contact by the public. This warranty does not cover any personal injury or damage to surrounding property caused by failure of any part.
This warranty is in lieu of any other warranty expressed or implied and NorthStar assumes no other responsibility or liability outside that expressed within this warranty.
Please fill in the following information and have it on hand when you call in a warranty claim.
Customer Number: _________________________________________________________Date of Purchase: __________________________________________________________NorthStar Serial Number: ___________________________________________________Item Number: ____________________________________________________________
Manufactured byNorthern Tool + Equipment Co.,2800 SouthCross Drive WestP.O. Box 1499 Burnsville, MN 55337-0499