the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™BTM600/STM600
SAGE® RECOMMENDS SAFETY FIRSTAt Sage® we are very safety-conscious. We design and manufacture consumer products with the safety of you, our valued customer, foremost in mind. In addition, we ask that you exercise a degree of care when using any electrical appliance and adhere to the following precautions.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE AND SAVE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
- A downloadable version of this document is also available at sageappliances.com
- Before using it for the first time please ensure that your electricity supply is the same as shown on the rating label on the underside of the appliance. If you have any concerns, please contact your local electricity company.
- Remove and safely discard any packaging materials before first use.
- To eliminate a choking hazard for young children, safely discard the protective cover fitted to the power plug.
- This appliance has been designed specifically for the purpose of heating and boiling quality drinking water and tea only. Under no circumstances should this product be used to heat or boil any other liquids or foodstuffs.
- Position the appliance on a stable, heat resistant, level, dry surface away from the edge and do not operate on or near a heat source such as a hot plate, oven, or gas hob.
- Do not place the appliance on or near a hot gas burner, electric element or where it could touch a heated oven.
- Position the appliance at least 20cm from walls or heat/steam sensitive materials and provide adequate space above and on all sides for air circulation.
- Do not operate the kettle on the sink drainboard.
- Always ensure the appliance is properly assembled before connecting to a power outlet and operating. Follow the instructionsprovided in this book.
- The installation of a residual current safety switch is recommended to provide additional safety when using all electrical appliances. Safety switches with a rated operating current of not more than 30mA are recommended. Consult an electrician for professionaladvice.
- The glass jug must be used only with the power base supplied.Do not use on a range top.
- The appliance is not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or separate remote control system.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use the handle for lifting and carrying the glass jug.
- Attach the jug lid securely to the glass jug before operation.
- Do not place anything on top of the lid.
- Do not open the jug lid during operation as scalding may occur.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving the glass jug containing hot liquid.
- Use caution when pouring water from the glass jug as boiling water and steam will scald. Do not pour the water too quickly.
- To avoid scalding, never fill the glass jug past the ‘MAX’ line marking.
- Do not operate the appliance without water. Always fill the glass jug to at least the ‘MIN’ marking. Should it be operated without water, the boil-dry protection will shut the power off automatically. Allow the appliance to cool before refilling.
- Do not remove the glass jug from the power base during heating or when the basket is in operation.Ensure the appliance has completed the water heating or tea brewing cycle before removing the glass jug from the power base.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by Sage ®may result in fire, electric shock or injury to persons.
- Always ensure the appliance is turned OFF, unplugged at the power outlet and has been allowed to cool before cleaning, attempting to move or storing.
- When the appliance is not in use or when left unattended, disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Allow the appliance to cool down in between brewing cycles.
- Keep the glass jug clean. Follow the cleaning instruction provided in this book.
- Do not use harsh abrasives or caustic cleaners when cleaning this appliance.
- Children should not play with the appliance.
- The glass jug has been specially treated to make it stronger, more durable, and safer than ordinary glass, however, it is not unbreakable. If dropped or struck extremely hard, it may break or weaken, and could at a later time shatter into many small pieces without apparent cause.
- Any maintenance other than cleaning should be performed by an authorized Sage® service center.
- The appliance can be used by children aged 8 or older and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or a lack of experience and knowledge, only if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved.
- Children should not play with the appliance.
- Always turn the appliance to the OFF position, switch off at the power outlet and unplug at the power outlet when the appliance is not in use.
- Do not wash jug exterior under running water.
IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS FOR ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
- Fully unwind the power cord before operating.
- This appliance is for household use only. Do not use the appliance for anything other than its intended use. Do not use in moving vehicles or boats. Do not use outdoors. Misuse may cause injury.
- Do not let the power cord hang over the edge of a bench or table, touch hot surfaces or become knotted.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Cleaning of the appliance should not be carried out by children unless they are 8 years or older and supervised.
- The appliance and its cord should be kept out of reach of children aged 8 years and younger.
- Do not use the appliance if the power cord, power plug, or appliance becomes damaged in any way. If damaged and maintenance other than cleaning is required please contact Sage Customer Service or go to sageappliances.com
- Do not operate the appliance on an inclined surface.
- Do not move the appliance while it is switched on.
The symbol shown indicates that this appliance should not be disposed of in normal household waste. It should be taken to a local authority waste collection center designated for this purpose or to a dealer providing this service. For more information, please contact your local council office.To protect against electric shock, do not immerse the glass jug base, power base, power cord, or power plug in water or allow moisture to come in contact with these parts. Avoid spilling water onto the power base’s connector. Do not immerse the glass jug or the power base for cleaning.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
|A. Inner LidB. Stainless Steel Tea BasketC. Outer LidD. SpoutE. Glass Body||F. Immersed Temperature SensorG. HandleH. Power BaseI. Cord StorageBPA Free Materials*|
* Sage makes its BPA free claim for this product based on independent laboratory testing performed for all the food contact plasticmaterials of the product per EU Commission regulation No 10/2011.
Rating Information220–240V ~ 50-60Hz 1700 – 2000W
|J. STEEP TIME buttonK. TEMP/KEEP WARM ButtonL. Steep time indicator||M. Temperature/tea type indicatorN. START/CANCEL buttonO. START TIMER button|
BEFORE FIRST USEIn order to remove any dust or protective residues from the manufacturing process, it is recommended to run a boiling cycle then discard the water.
- Remove and safely discard any packing material, promotional labels, and tape from the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™.
- Lift the inner lid along with the attached tea basket. Then remove the outer lid.
- Wash the outer lid, tea basket, and inner lid in warm soapy water with a soft sponge, rinse and dry thoroughly. WARNINGNever immerse the base of the glass jug, the power base, power cord or power plug in water or allow moisture to come in contact with these parts.
- Place the power base on a flat, dry surface.
- Unwind the power cord completely and insert the power plug into a grounded wall outlet. WARNINGNever fill the glass jug with chilled water.Allow the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ to cool before refilling. WARNINGFilling past the MAX line may result in serious burns or injuries as a result of overflowing hot or boiling water. Filling below the MIN line will result in the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ switching off before the water has boiled or reached the selected temperature.
- Detach the tea basket from the inner lid by pressing the button.
- Without the tea basket in place, fill the glass jug to the water MAX mark and place it on the power base. Securely fit the lid onto the glass jug. The Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ will beep and the buttons will illuminate.
- Select ‘100°C’ in the temperature indicator by pressing the TEMP/KEEP WARM button and turn off the timer by pressing the STEEP TIME button several times. Then press the START/CANCEL button to start.
- Once the water reaches 100°C, it will beep 3 times.
- Discard the water. The Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ is now ready to use.
- Fill the glass jug with the desired amount of water. Ensure you do not fill past the MAX mark. Place the outer lid, tea basket, andinner lid.
- Select the tea type by pressing the TEMP/ KEEP WARM button. The tea type determines brew temperature and steep time, based on medium strength. Press STEEP TIME to engage in the steeping function. The Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ has 5 preset tea types recommended for optimal brewing of Green, White, Oolong, Herbal, or Black tea.
TEA TYPE Green White Oolong Herbal Black Preset Brew Temp 80°C 85°C 90°C 95°C 100°C SteepTime*(mins) Mild 2 2 2 3 1 Medium* 3 3 3 4 2 Strong 4 4 4 5 3
* Preset steep time is based on medium strength, but you can adjust depending on your taste. NOTEThis product is not calibrated for commercialor scientific use. Temperatures may vary +/- 3°C, which is within range for optimalbrewing for each tea variety.
- Start heating by pressing the START/CANCEL button. The Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ will start heating.
- Once the selected brew temperature is reached it will beep 3 times. Open the tea basket lid by pressing the detachment button and use a teaspoon (approximately 5g) to fill the basket with tea leaves. As a general guide, use 1 teaspoon of tea leaves per cup / 250ml of water, however, this will depend on the instructions on tea packaging and your personal preference. Re-place the tea basket lid.Water to tea scoop ratio
500mL 2 teaspoons 750mL 3 teaspoons 1000mL 4 teaspoons 1250mL 5 teaspoons 1500mL 6 teaspoons 1700mL 7 teaspoons
- Start steeping by pressing the START TIMER button. The timer is set based on medium strength by default, but you can change this by pressing the STEEP TIME button.NOTETemperature and time can be changed during the heating or steeping cycle.
- Once the brewing cycle is complete, the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ will beep 3 times. Lift the inner lid along with tea basket, and detach the tea basket. Then close the lid.Your tea is ready now. The Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ will keep the tea warm until you are ready to drink.
If selected prior to heating, Keep Warm will last for 30 minutes after tea is brewed. When the glass jug is removed from the power base, the Keep Warm function will cancel.To reactivate for another 30 minutes place the glass jug with the remaining tea back on the power base and press KEEP WARM, the light will illuminate when this is selected.
BOILING WATERRemove the tea basket and fill the glass jug with water. Close the jug with the lid. Select the desired temperature by pressing TEMP/KEEP WARM button, and then turn off the time indicator by pressing the STEEP TIME button.Press START/CANCEL button to start. When finished, it will beep 3 times.
CHANGING BEEP VOLUMEPress and hold the STEEP TIME button and TEMP/KEEP WARM button together for 2 seconds to enter volume adjustment mode.Press the STEEP TIME button to choose among OFF (mute), 3 (default), and 5 (louder).To save and exit, press the two buttons together or wait for 7 seconds.
Care & Cleaning
CLEANING THE GLASS JUG
- After each use, empty the glass jug.Do not allow brewed tea to stand overnight.Allow the glass jug to fully cool before cleaning.
- Wipe the interior of the glass jug with a soft damp sponge or rinse with warm water.
- Wipe the exterior of the glass jug with a soft damp cloth to clean.
WARNINGNever immerse or wash the exterior of the glass jug under running water.
NOTEDo not use chemicals, steel wool, or abrasive cleaners to clean the inside or outside of the glass jug as these may scratch the surface.
- To remove the build-up of tannin, the astringent chemical constituent of tea, fill the glass jug with water up to the MAX mark and bring water to boil, and allow water to cool for one minute. Add contents of Tea Maker Cleaner (available at Sage web page) and allow to stand for 5 minutes.Empty Sage Smart Tea Infuser™, refill with fresh water, and boil. Repeat this step again.Empty the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ and rinse thoroughly.
- Dry thoroughly with a soft, lint-free cloth before using.
NOTEThrough regular use over time, scale build-up can affect the performance and the life of the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™.Lime and phosphate are common forms of scale that can damage your Sage Smart Tea Infuser™.Limescale, a harmless mineral, comes in the appearance of white-colored or rusty-looking build-up on the inner walls and inner base of the glass jug. The phosphate scale can’t be seen, however, it can cause the water to appear cloudy when heated. To prevent scale from damaging your Sage Smart Tea Infuser™, ensure to descale the glass jug regularly. Use Descaler (available at Sage web page) and follow the instructions.
WARNINGCauses skin irritation. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. NOTEAllow all parts of the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ to cool completely before disassembling and cleaning. WARNINGNever immerse the base of the glass jug, power base, power cord or power plug in water or allow moisture to come in contact with these parts.
CLEANING THE OUTER LID
- Wash the outer lid in warm soapy water with a soft sponge, rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Alternatively, the outer lid is dishwasher safe.
- Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to use.
CLEANING THE BASKET
- Wash the basket lid and tea basket in warm, soapy water with a soft sponge, then rinse and dry thoroughly.
- A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild spray solution may be used to avoid the build-up of stains on the basket. Apply the cleaner to the sponge, not directly onto the basket surface, before cleaning.
- Let all surfaces dry thoroughly before using.
CLEANING THE POWER BASE
- Wipe the power base with a soft damp sponge.
- Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to inserting the power plug into the wall outlet.
- Ensure the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ is switched off, cleaned, and dried before storing.
- Ensure that the tea basket is correctly assembled.
- Ensure that the jug lid is securely in place on the glass jug.
- Wrap the power cord around the power cord storage under the power base.
- Store the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ upright on the power base. Do not store anything on top.
|PROBLEM||WHAT TO DO|
|The Sage SmartTea Infuser™ does not switch on||• Check the power plug is securely inserted into the outlet.• Insert the power plug into an independent outlet.• Insert the power plug into a different outlet.• Reset the circuit breaker if necessary.• For additional safety the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ is fitted with a thermal cut out. In the event of severe overheating, the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™ will automatically shut down to prevent further damage.|
|The Sage Smart TeaInfuser™ does not work||• Check the glass jug is securely positioned on the power base.|
|I cannot select a certain function||• Certain features cannot be selected or changed during the heatingor brewing cycle. LED lights surrounding the buttons will indicate theavailability of the functions.|
|After boiling water, bubbles appear around the temperature sensor||• This is normal for the functionality of the Sage Smart Tea Infuser™.|
|My tea tastes too weak or too strong||• Perform a cleaning cycle as per instruction in the booklet.• Follow the cleaning instructions in this booklet.|
2 YEAR LIMITED GUARANTEESage Appliances guarantees this product for domestic use in specified territories for 2 years from the date of purchase against defects caused by faulty workmanship and materials. During this guarantee period, Sage Appliances will repair, replace, or refund any defective product (at the sole discretion of Sage Appliances).All legal warranty rights under applicable national legislation will be respected and will not be impaired by our guarantee. For fullterms and conditions on the guarantee, as well as instructions on how to make a claim, please visit www.sageappliances.com.
BRG Appliances LimitedUnit 3.2, Power Road Studios, 114 PowerRoad, London, W4 5PYUK Landline: 0808 178 1650Mobile (National Rate): 0333 0142 970
www.sageappliances.comRegistered in England & Wales No. 8223512Registered in Germany No. HRB 81309 (AG Düsseldorf)Registered in France No. 879 449 866 RCS• Due to continued product improvement, the products illustrated or photographed in this document may vary slightly from the actual product.Copyright BRG Appliances 2020BTM600/STM600 UG6 C20