SHAQ Juicer SHL-90 Owner’s Manual
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The Shaq Juicer™ will provide you many years of healthy juicing. But before you begin, it’s very important that you read this entire manual, making certain that you are totally familiar with this appliance’s operation and precautions.
WARNING: PREVENT INJURIES! CAREFULLY READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE!
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including:
- Read all instructions.
- NOT FOR USE BY CHILDREN! Keep out of the reach of children to avoid injury.
- The Shaq Juicer has a polarized plug. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug will fit in an outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, do not use the appliance and consult an electrician.
- DO NOT operate this or any appliance with a damaged AC cord or plug.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use.
- DO NOT operate if appliance malfunctions, has been dropped or appears damaged in any manner. Never attempt home repairs. Only a qualified appliance technician should repair appliance before re-use.
- DO NOT USE any attachments or utensils that were not recommended or supplied by the marketer. The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the manufacturer may cause serious hazardous situations including fire, electric shock or personal injury.
- To protect against risk of electrical shock or injury, never immerse power cord, plug, or main appliance in water, or other liquids.
- DO NOT let Power Cord hang over the edge of table, counter, or come in direct contact with hot surfaces such as stoves.
- Make sure the lid is attached properly and is securely locked before operating the Fusion Juicer. (See Assembly Step 4)
- Make sure the motor stops completely and the appliance is unplugged from the electrical outlet before disassembling, assembling or cleaning.
- Should juicer suddenly stop or develop excessive vibration or unusually loud noise, shut off and unplug appliance immediately, wait for blade to stop running, then disassemble, clean thoroughly and reassemble.
- To avoid risk of personal injury keep hands and utensils out of the juicer and away from its sharp Blade during operation. Use the Pusher, not fingers or utensils, to insert food into the juicer.
- NEVER disengage the Locking Bar during operation..
The Shaq Juicer was designed with safety in mind. We have added two important safety features:
Built-In Automatic Shut Off SystemThe Shaq Juicer is equipped with a special feature that automatically shuts off the motor should the appliance become jammed or overheated during the juicing process. Prior to shut down, you will most likely hear the juicer get louder. This will indicate that something has caused the motor to strain. Should this happen, simply turn the Power Switch off and unplug the appliance.
CAUTION: ANYONE WHO HAS NOT FULLY READ AND UNDERSTOOD ALL OPERATING AND SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS MANUAL IS NOT QUALIFIED TO OPERATE OR CLEAN THIS APPLIANCE
Follow the Disassembly, Cleaning and Assembly procedures. Then, allow the appliance to cool for 10 minutes. The appliance will reset and you will be able to resume the juicing process.
The Locking BarWhen in the upright and locked position, this feature holds the Juicer Lid/Pulp Guard in place. If the Locking Bar is not in its proper position, the motor will not engage and the blade will not spin.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
Parts & Accessories
IMPORTANT: Your Shaq Juicer has been shipped with the components shown below. Check everything carefully before use. If any part is missing or damaged, do not use this product and contact Customer Service using the contact information located on the back of this manual.
IMPORTANT: Before disassembly, make certain appliance is shut off and the power cord is unplugged from the power outlet.
- Lift and remove the Pusher from the Chute.
- Grasp the Locking Bar and rotate downward. This will release all components for easy disassembly.
- Lift and remove the Lid and Pulp guard.
- Lift and remove the Receptacle, which contains the Blade/Filter. At this point, you can separate the Blade/Filter from the Receptacle.
- NOTE: The Pulp Collector is now free from the appliance.
- Align the three tabs on the bottom of the Receptacle with the matching tabs on the top of the Power Base and set the Receptacle down.
- Insert the Blade/Filter into the Receptacle and set the Blade/Filter in place with a slow clockwise motion. Now, place the Pulp Collector under the back lip of the Receptacle (see Fig. A).
- Place the Lid on the Receptacle so that the Lid is stable and unable to rotate.
- Lift the Locking Bar so that it comes over the top of the Lid and locks, holding the appliance together.
- The Pusher must be used to guide fruits and veggies through the Chute.NOTE: The Pusher has a groove along one side that must be aligned to a tab in the Chute when in use (see Fig. B).
Instructions for Use
Before First Use
Ensure that all packing materials have been removed. Running the appliance with any of this material still intact may cause serious damage. Disassemble the appliance (see Disassembly, p. 7). Clean the appliance (see Care & Cleaning, p. 13). Dry all parts thoroughly before use. Assemble the appliance (see Assembly, p. 8).
- Clean and cut ingredients to a size that will fit in the Chute. Ensure all pits and large stems are removed. Small seeds and skins should not be a problem if you wish to use them.
- Place the appliance on a stable countertop or table. Plug the power cord into a 110V outlet. Select the speed you wish to use and allow the appliance to run for a few seconds.
- Use the Pusher to guide the ingredients into the Chute with a smooth, steady motion. You should see the juice beginning to flow into your glass or container, and the pulp will begin to collect on the Lid and in the Pulp Collector.
- Immediately after use, clean the appliance (see Care & Cleaning, p. 13).
NOTE: Sometimes, you may need to remove excess food when making large quantities of juice. To remove excess food, unplug the appliance, remove the Lid, and clean the Blade/Filter and Pulp Chute.
NOTE: Before juicing, ensure the Spout is pointed downward and properly aligned with your glass or container (see Fig. C).
The Benefits of Juicing
Juicing should be done in conjunction with your regular daily consumption of fruits and vegetables. Consuming whole fruits and vegetables daily helps you get much-needed fiber. Juicing is a quicker way to get many of the health benefits you need from fresh food, including antioxidants and nutrients.
We recommend juicing produce items that you would normally consume. Before juicing any produce, it is important to wash it thoroughly to remove all contaminants, including soil and pesticides.
SKINS, STEMS, AND SEEDS
Skins: Juicing with the skins on is a personal preference with most produce.
Stems: The only stems that are beneficial to process are grape stems. All others should be removed.
Seeds: Removing seeds is discretionary due to certain health risks associated with certain produce.
Due to the irregular size and shape of carrots, care must be taken when juicing. Do not overfill the chute. Allow room for the carrots to move and be pushed into the juicer. Use the Pusher to guide the carrots and prevent them from bouncing out of the chute.
We recommend the removal of the skin from citrus fruits. The skin will provide a tart flavor to the juice. The skin can also be difficult to process. Juicing with or without the skin is a personal preference.
MANGOES, APRICOTS, AND PEACHES
Important: Always remove large pits. Do not put any produce in the juicer with large pits. Pits will damage the blade and possibly seize the motor.
POMEGRANATES AND CHERRIES
These wonder fruits can absolutely be juiced. When juicing cherries, remove the pits. When juicing pomegranates, only the seeds may be used. You must remove the outer skin and the inner membrane.
PINEAPPLE AND MELONS
Although the juicer can process the rind from these items, we recommend removing the rind. Pineapple is stringy in nature and can cause a blockage at the opening of the Spout. Monitor juice flow and juicing progress to avoid blockages, which can cause the Receptacle to overflow.
BERRIES AND SMALL FRUITS
When juicing berries (except cranberries), you need to add other juicier fruits (such as apples or oranges) that produce more juice to push the juice through the juicer. Strawberries contain the most juice because they tend to be large. For example, first process the berries (you may not see a lot of juice). Then, add an apple or an orange – something that will increase the volume of juice.
KEEP THE PULP COLLECTOR CLEAN
When juicing, be sure to monitor the Pulp Collector and empty it before it is full. If the Pulp Collector fills and pulp backs up into Filter, the motor will shut off. The pulp can be used for recipes or thrown away. You can place a plastic bag in the Pulp Collector to aid with clean-up.
Get the Most from Your Juicer
Some varieties of produce are more difficult to process than others. The amount of juice you process depends on which fruits and vegetables you select. Produce such as oranges, apples, melons, and cucumbers tends to yield more juice and should be mixed with those that yield less juice. The Juicing Chart (see p. 12) can help take the guesswork out of juicing.
DO NOT JUICE avocados, bananas, or coconuts because they do not contain juice. Juicing rhubarb is not recommended due to toxins.
Harder Fruits & Vegetables
Ideal For Juicing
- Brussels sprouts
- Cherries (pitted)
- Honeydew Melon
- Peaches (harder)
- Pears (harder)
- Pomegranate seeds
Softer Fruits & Vegetables
More Challenging For Juicing
- Collard greens
- Dandelion greens
- Green beans
- Green peas
- Kiwi (very ripe)
- Leafy greens
- Mustard greens
- Nectarines (very ripe)
- Okra (skin removed)
- Passion fruit
- Peaches (very ripe)
- Pears (very ripe)
- Pineapple (very ripe)
- Swiss chard
- Tomatoes (very ripe)
- Wheat grass
Fruits & Vegetables With Greater Juice Content
- Honeydew Melon
Care & Cleaning
With the exception of the Motor Base, all the components can be put in your home dishwasher. We recommend top rack placement.
- Turn off the power switch and wait until the motor stops completely.
- With dry hands, unplug the power cord from electrical outlet.
- Disassemble the machine (see Disassembly).
- Wipe the outside of the Power Base with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent. Do not submerge the Power Base in water. Do not spray with water or any other liquid. The Power Base is not dishwasher safe.IMPORTANT: Do not use abrasive sponges, cloths, or cleansers as these can damage the finish.
- Hold the Filter/Blade under warm running water. Use the supplied cleaning brush to loosen the leftover fibers that may be stuck to the Filter/ Blade before placing the Filter/Blade in the dishwasher. Never use a wire brush. Rinse the Filter/Blade from the outside under running water. A sink’s spray hose attachment is especially effective for loosening fiber from the Filter/Blade.
- Clean all other parts with a warm, moist cloth and mild detergent. Rinse well and dry thoroughly.
- Dry the components thoroughly, reassemble the machine (see Assembly, p. 8), and turn on the power to spin out any excess water.
- Ensure the appliance and its parts are completely dry before storing in a cool, dry place.
CAUTION: Some commercial and foreign-made dishwashers may reach internal temperatures that are higher than machines made for home use by US standards. Do not use these dishwashers with your ShaqJuicer. The higher temperatures may cause damage to appliance and can void your guarantee. Check with your dishwasher manufacturer before using.
|Appliance does not run when switched on||Check to see if the appliance is plugged in.|
|Locking bar is not locked in place properly.|
|Check if all parts are assembled.|
|Check if there is any residue left between the blade and the receptacle.|
|Make sure you wait 5-10 minutes to restart if the appliance automatically shuts down.|
|Motor is unusually loud and vibrating||Check that all parts are assembled properly and in the correct position.|
|Juicing overripe fruit may result in too much pulp and will clog the filter. Turn the appliance off and clean the filter.|
|The motor overheats causing the power to automatically shut off||Applying too much pressure with the Pusher while processing can cause the motor to overheat, which activates the built-in thermal cut-off switch. The motor will stop working for approximately 10 minutes to cool down (see Safety Features, p. 5).|
|The fruits and vegetables may be soft or overripe.|
|There may be too much pulp in the filter. Turn the appliance off and clean the filter.|
|No juice is coming out of the Spout||Make sure the Spout is facing downward while juicing. If the Spout is facing upward, juice will not come out of the Spout and may overflow out of the bottom sides.|
|Some produce, such as berries, may not be juicy enough. Add juicier produce, such as apples and oranges, to the juicer to help push the juice through the juicer.|
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you decide that you don’t love this product, your order is covered by our 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee. You have 60 days from the day you receive your product to request a replacement product or refund of the purchase price minus processing and handling fees. To receive a refund or replacement, you must return the product to us at your expense..
Replacement Guarantee Policy
Our products, when purchased from an authorized retailer, include a 1-year replacement guarantee if your product or component part does not perform as expected, The guarantee extends only to the original purchaser and is not transferable. If you experience an issue with one of our products within 1 year of purchase, return the product or the component part for replacement with a functionally equivalent new product or part. The original proof of purchase is required, and you are responsible to pay to return the unit to us. In the event a replacement unit is issued, the guarantee coverage ends six (6) months following the receipt date of the replacement unit or the remainder of the existing guarantee, whichever is later. Tristar reserves the right to replace the unit with one of equal or greater value.
To return the product, call customer service at 1-973-287-5113 and request a return merchandise authorization number. Pack the product carefully and include in the package a note with (1) your name, (2) mailing address, (3) phone number, (4) email address, (5) reason for return, and (6) proof of purchase or order number, and (7) specify on the note whether you are requesting a refund or replacement. Write the return merchandise authorization number on the outside of the package.
Send the product to the following return address:
Shaq JuicerTristar Products, Inc.500 Returns RoadWallingford, CT 06495
We are very proud of the design and quality of our SHAQ JuicerTM.
This product has been manufactured to the highest standards. Should you have any questions, our friendly customer service staff is here to help you.
Visit us at www.TristarCares.com,email us at c[email protected],or call us at 973-287-5113.